Chicken Rock Lighthouse emerges from the fog, The Isle of Man
The last of the great pillar rock towers to be designed by the Stevenson family, Chicken Rock was designed by David and Thomas Stevenson and first lit in 1875. It was built to replace the two lights on the Calf of Man which were frequently obscured by fog.
In 1960 a fire broke out in the lighthouse and the keepers had to escape via ropes over the lighthouse balcony, they were eventually rescued by lifeboat from Port St Mary after some difficulty due to the sea conditions. Chicken Rock was repaired and automated in 1961.