Governor's Residence at Canaanite Aphek
The Egyptian governor's residence at Aphek during the Canaanite era (1550-1200 BCE). Only the ground-floor walls of the Canaanite building have survived, though a staircase indicates that this once-grand structure included a second storey. The higher fortification walls in the background are part of the Ottoman-period fortress built on top of the ruins of Aphek. This Canaanite palace, and the rest of the Canaanite city, was destroyed in 1230 BCE (as confirmed by a destruction layer between this stratum and the next). The importance of Canaanite Aphek for trade is confirmed by the presence of inscriptions here in Assyrian and Sumerian, as well as in Canaanite languages. Excavators also found a letter here from the city of Ugarit (in northern Syria) confirming a trade relationship with the Hittite Empire (in what is now Eastern Turkey). A continuous grey line of what looks like clay marks the border between the portions of the structure that were excavated intact and the portions that have been reconstructed.