Castle Campbell is a mediæval castle situated above the town of Dollar, Clackmannanshire in central Scotland. It was the seat of the Earls and Dukes of Argyll, chiefs of Clan Campbell.
The tower house was built in the late fifteenth century and was known as Castle Gloom. The castle was originally a property of the Clan Stuart, but passed by marriage to Colin Campbell, 1st Earl of Argyll, and Lord Chancellor of Scotland. He had the name of the castle changed by an Act of Parliament to Castle Campbell in 1489. The Hall Range was constructed c.1500 and would have originally provided additional lodging and public reception.
During the Civil War James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose tried to take the castle in 1645, but failed. Campbells' luck ran out when they were faced with the choice of King or Oliver Cromwell. Initially choosing the King, later the Marquis (8th Earl) of Argyll switched his allegiance to Cromwell. Cromwell's forces occupied the castle in 1653, and only part of the castle was restored after it was burned in 1654 by Scots in retaliation for Campbell's support to Cromwell and its use as a residence ended. Just seven years later the 8th Earl of Argyll was executed for treason to the King.
In 1948 Castle Campbell was given into the care of the Government. It is now administered by Historic Scotland.