St. Paul Kirche
During the Oktoberfest, the neo-gothic church of St. Paul, situated opposite to the Theresienwiese, opens its bell-tower to those willing to climb the stairs leading to the platform.
The church was designed by the same architect responsible for the Neues Rathaus, Georg von Hauberrisser, construction began in 1896 and was completed in 1906. The interior was not finished until 1914, the stained-glass windows were destroyed during World War II and replaced when the church was restored - very unlovingly - in a spare style.
On 17 December 1960 a plane starting from the then airport Munich-Riem could not gain enough height, collided with the tower and crashed onto a full street car passing through the Martin-Greif-Strasse, setting it on fire and resulting in 52 deaths.