Split Rock Lighthouse, MN, USA
Split Rock Lighthouse is located just south of Silver Bay, Minnesota, USA on the North Shore of Lake Superior. The structure was designed by Ralph Russell Tinkham and was completed in 1910 at a cost of $75,000. It is built on a 130-foot (40 m) sheer cliff of anorthosite. The lighthouse was first lit on July 31, 1910. It was built in response to the loss of ships during the famous Mataafa Storm of 1905, in which 29 ships were lost on Lake Superior. One of these shipwrecks, the Madeira, is located just north of the lighthouse. Compare, Great Lakes Storm of 1913.
The light was retired in 1969 by the U. S. Coast Guard. Every November 10 the lighthouse emits a light in memory of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which sank on that date in 1975. So capturing the lighthouse in operation can be a challenge. The next best shot is to wait for a full moon to rise in back of the lighthouse. When that fails use Photoshop!