Waterford Street, Wakarusa, Indiana section 4
1908 postmarked postcard view of Waterford Street in Wakarusa, Indiana. This view is looking east across the Elkhart Street intersection. The awning on the left advertised the location of the EXCHANGE BANK. This bank received its Certificate of Authority in 1905. The 1905 and the 1914 Sanborn™ fire insurance map sets for Wakarusa both show a bank at this location. An upstairs awning advertised a LAW OFFICE. The same awning can be seen in a similar 1912 postmarked postcard. Also, the c1910 Lane’s Band postcard shows this building with the name F. W. Brown on the upstairs windows. The placard in the window in this view reads, DO-IT-NOW — PAY YOUR TELEPHONE RENT. Brown was a Wakarusa attorney and founded the Wakarusa Telephone Exchange in 1901. Beyond the bank, a highly decorated barber’s pole stood on the sidewalk. Both Sanborn™ map sets show a barbershop at that location.
The signs on the easternmost building on the south side of the street aren’t quite readable. The property was undeveloped when the 1905 Sanborn™ map set was produced. The 1914 set shows a grocery and meat market at the east end of the building and a dry goods store in the west portion. The sign on the next building to the west advertised THE PALM RESTAURANT and BAKERY. The 1905 Sanborn™ map set shows a restaurant at that location. The 1914 map set shows a confectionery and bakery business.
The building east of the restaurant had a developer’s name at the top that appears to be M. FREE_. THE FAIR store was located in the next building east. The name at the top of that building is unclear, but appears to be _. Y. VERNTZ or something similar. It housed THE FAIR store. The SELZ SHOES sign included the name M. WOOLFBERG at the top of the sign. It’s not clear if this was a misspelling or an alternate spelling for Moses Wolfberg. The banner hanging on the front of the store advertised SPECIAL PRICES ON LINOLEUMS, CARPETS, LACE CURTAINS __________.
The message on this postcard was written by L. R. C. to Miss Ella Born in Chicago. It reads in part, “Just been calling on my friend….Place marked “X” on the other side [of this postcard] where he holds forth.” The “X” was placed beside the nearest utility pole, indicating one of the buildings in the background.
From a private collection.
The full postcard image can be seen here.