Tabernacle, Goshen, Indiana, section 3
1912 dated postcard view of a tabernacle in Goshen, Indiana. This temporary structure was on South Main Street at the southwest corner of the Jefferson Street intersection. Main Street was the paved street at the bottom of this postcard. The 1910 and 1917 Sanborn™ map sets show two vacant lots at this location. The photographer was probably upstairs at the house across the street (308 South Main Street) when he took this photograph.
Beyond the tabernacle, the two-story houses were on the east side of South Third Street while the 1½-story houses were on the west side of that street. The three-story brick factory building was on the east side of the Hydraulic Canal. It was part of The Hawks Furniture Company. The brick chimney beyond that building was at their building on the west side of the canal. The 1910 map set shows the chimney height at 30 feet; the 1917 map set shows 75 feet. This was the 75-foot chimney in this scene.
The houses above and to the right of the tabernacle were on the northwest and northeast corners at Jefferson and Third Streets. The single-story brick building (117 West Jefferson Street) was not there when the 1910 map set was being prepared. The 1917 map set shows a steam laundry business in that building. An alley stood between the laundry and the small house at the right edge of this scene. That house is shown in both map sets (109 West Jefferson Street).
The chimney in the background above the laundry is shown in the 1919 map set as part of the Hawks Electric Light Company power plant. However, that map set also shows a new Hawks Electric Light Company power plant “from plans” to be built a short distance to the southwest. The 1917 map set shows this new plant with a 100-fot chimney and it shows the old power plant as part of the adjacent Goshen Milling Company on the southwest corner at West Lincoln Avenue and South Second Street. The chimney in this scene was at the older power plant; the new one hadn’t been built yet.
The banner on the front of the tabernacle read UNION EVANGELISTIC MEETINGS NOV 7 – DEC __. HENRY OSTROM CONDUCTOR. Automobiles were parked along the street and bicycles were leaning against the front of the structure. At least one of the women on the sidewalk was pushing a baby carriage. Large posters adorned the fence along the Jefferson Street side of the structure. The farthest of these advertised BEACON SHOE ____. The middle poster included the words THE INTERNATIONAL. The nearest sign advertised THE GIRL OF MY DREAMS, AN ATMOSPHERIC MUSICAL PLAY. The actors’ names under the title were JOHN HYAMS and LEILA McINTYRE. They would be performing the play at the JEFFERSON THEATER in Goshen on TUESDAY NOV 19. The small sign above that fence and the posters advertised _____ BILLPOSTERS. The unclear name was probably Krutz. C. Krutz was the billposter associated with the Jefferson Theatre in Goshen. A similar sign was visible and readable in another postcard showing advertising posters at the interurban station.
The bench in front of the tabernacle had a business name printed on it, but it is unclear.
This is a John Inbody photograph (Elkhart, Indiana).
From a private collection.
The full postcard image can be seen here.
Copyright 2005-2014 by Hoosier Recollections. All rights reserved. This image is part of a creative package that includes the associated text, geodata and/or other information. Neither this package in its entirety nor any of the individual components may be downloaded, transmitted or reproduced without the prior written permission of Hoosier Recollections.