Harrison Street looking north, Alexandria, Indiana
c1910 postcard view of Harrison Street in Alexandria, Indiana. This view was looking north from the Church Street intersection. The awning identified the store on the corner as the SPADE & BAILEY REXALL STORE. This was the northwest corner of the intersection (202 North Harrison). Signs advertised SODA and DRUGS. The antlers mounted on the second floor identified the location of the local B.P.O.E. Hall above the drug store. The awning next door advertised GILLETT CIGARS & TOBACCO shop at 204 North Harrison Street. The sign leaning against the front of the store at 206 North Harrison advertised DUFF FOODS. Near the end of that block was a jeweler’s trade symbol (pocket watch) on a post at the curb. The 1909 Sanborn™ fire insurance map set shows a jeweler in the second shop south of West John Street.
Two penny scales were displayed prominently near the entrances to the drug store and the tobacco shop.
From a private collection.
Selected closeup sections of this postcard can be seen here, from left to right in the image.