Indiana Medical College, Indianapolis, Indiana
1910 postmarked postcard view of the Indiana Medical College near downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. This view was looking northwest from the east side of the Indiana State House. Senate Avenue was in the foreground and Market Street intersected Senate Avenue at this location. The 1898 Sanborn™ fire insurance map set for Indianapolis shows mostly dwellings west and north of the college. This was still generally true when the 1914 map set was published. This view shows the dwellings north of the college along Senate Avenue.
The college was founded in 1869. The 1898 map set and the 1905 R. L. Polk directory identified it as "The Medical College of Indiana." It was located on the northwest corner at Senate Avenue (Mississippi Street) and West Market Street. An advertisement in that Polk directory indicated an affiliation with the University of Indianapolis. Henry Jameson, M. D., was dean of the college at the time. In 1905, it became a part of Purdue University. Shortly thereafter, the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons merged with the Indiana Medical College. The 1914 map set identified it as the “School of Medicine of Purdue University.”
The tower near the right edge of this postcard probably belonged to the Protestant Deaconess Home & Hospital on the northwest corner at the Ohio Street intersection. The main building was a three-story brick structure, but the tower at the southeast corner of the building was four stories tall according to the 1914 map set. A note indicated the tower was 60 feet tall.
The college stood across the street from the Indiana State House. Today, Market Street west of the State House no longer exists and Indiana Government Center North occupies the site of the former college. Both Sanborn™ map sets showed the Senate Hotel across the street on the southwest corner of the Market Street intersection.
From a private collection.
A close-up section of this postcard can be seen here.
Copyright 2004-2014 by Hoosier Recollections. All rights reserved. This image is part of a creative package that includes the associated text, geodata and/or other information. Neither this package in its entirety nor any of the individual components may be downloaded, transmitted or reproduced without the prior written permission of Hoosier Recollections.