Deaconess Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana
1916 postmarked postcard view of carriages and buggies parked in front of the Deaconess Hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana. The absence of automobiles suggests this scene predates 1910.
The hospital was built in 1899 on the northwest corner at the intersection of North Senate Avenue and West Ohio Street. This view was looking northwest. The two-story wood frame building and the three-story brick building north (right in this view) of the hospital were labeled “Nurses Quarters” and “Nurses Home of Protestant Deaconess Hospital,” respectively, in the 1914 Sanborn™ fire insurance map set. The hospital itself was labeled the “Protestant Deaconess Hospital.” An overlay was pasted onto the 1898 map set sometime after 1899 and it labeled the facility as the “Protestant Deaconess Home & Hospital.”
The three-story brick building at the right edge of this scene must have been the Eugenia (or Eugene) Flats on the northwest corner of the New York Street intersection. Both the 1898 and the 1914 map sets show six dwellings between the hospital and New York Street. The flats didn’t exist when the 1898 map set was produced, but a change was later pasted onto the map set to show them. They are identified at the “Eugene Flats” in that map set and “Eugenia Flats” in the 1914 map set.
From a private collection.
Copyright 2004-2014 by Hoosier Recollections. All rights reserved. This image is part of a creative package that includes the associated text, geodata and/or other information. Neither this package in its entirety nor any of the individual components may be downloaded, transmitted or reproduced without the prior written permission of Hoosier Recollections.