The old farm and rectory buildings at Laufás, Eyjafjörður, Iceland.
Settlement at Laufás can be traced back all the way to pagan times. The oldest section of the present day farmhouse, however, is believed to contain timbers from the 16th and 17th centuries. The farmhouse was rebuilt in an ambitious style during the residency of the reverend Björn Halldórsson who was the local vicar during the period 1853-1882.
The Laufás farmhouse is a pure example of the gabled farmhouse building style, strongly characteristic of Icelandic farms of those times. The Laufás farmhouse, however, is significantly larger than the ordinary farmhouse. The household at Laufás was commonly made up of twenty to thirty persons, for many hands were needed to be able to reap all the benefits offered by this fertile farm.
The Laufás farmhouse is at present equipped with household items and utensils resembling those in use at the beginning of the 20th century.