1899 or so - Looking NE from water tower
Frank Walters' saloon, connected to American House hotel, is prominent.
The Weiss building hasn't replaced the building across from American House (with the Mail Pouch tobacco ad), so this must be prior to 1902, but the telephone wires suggest at least 1899, when the local exchange was built.
The building with the Mail Pouch ad is the Ernest Mochel saloon. It was owned by Irvin Seiler, who bought it from Jacob Bauer. Bauer ran it as a grocery for 25 years. It is presumably a frame building that replaced George Pomeroy's "commodious log building" that was the first structure built in the town in 1848 (or, possibly even the same building).
West of the American House and Frank Walter Saloon was:
Bauer Bros. barber shop
Vehon Boston Store dry goods & notions
Walter meat market (old one-story frame bldg)