In 1910 students carried their belongings from the old school near Beaverton Ditch and marched two-by-two through Beaverton to the new four-room, double-story structure. It featured a full cement basement, equipped with the latest heating and ventilating devices (note the water pump on left). This school was located where Merle Davies School now stands.
Voters authorized the building of this "4-room, 2-story structure with full cement basement, with first-class material, equipped with the latest heating and ventilating devices" in 1910. The schoolhouse was completed in December 1910 and students carried their belongings from their old school to the new school on January 3, 1911.
The school was located on the south side of Second Street between Stott and Erickson streets, where Beaverton High School was built five years later. The schoolhouse that was built in 1910 was located where the east end of the present high school building stands.
The school was called "Beaverton Public School" until 1916 when Beaverton High School was built. At that time, it became "Beaverton Grade School". It was in service until 1937.
Information Source: Varner, Gerald H. School Days: A History of
Public Schools In and Around Beaverton,
Oregon 1856-2000. Beaverton, OR, 2000.
Source: City website photo 62