new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

Ballater Diamond Jubilee Cairn, The Main Stone Arrives, Short HD Video Clip.(Select 'HD' In Bottom Right Hand Corner If Required)

SIXTY YEARS.....SIXTY STONES.

 

The main stone was cut from the famous Inver Quarry.

 

Having sought permission from the Estates concerned, the Cairn's 60 stones (one for each year of HM Queen Elizabeth II's Reign) were sourced from 30 hills surrounding Balmoral Castle and the 'Royal Warrant' village of Ballater, all of which would be familiar to Her Majesty.

 

More information? Click on relevant links to the right>>>>

 

PLEASE NOTE THIS VIDEO IMAGE IS COPYRIGHTED.

 

Media & IT Consultant for these images

deesideimages@gmail.com

 

www.deesideimages.webs.com

 

THE INVER QUARRY STORY

 

Over the years the Inver Quarry located between Ballater & Braemar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK has produced some famous stones. The large Diamond Jubilee stone that you see today HERE marking HM Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee Cairn in the centre of Ballater was cut there. Stone from the quarry was used in the building of Balmoral Castle and the 'Royal Church' at Crathie.

 

The famous St. Valery Memorial Stone that reminds us of the deaths suffered by the 51st Highland Division at St Valery in Northern France during WW2 was also cut from the Inver Quarry. The stone now stands proudly in the village of St. Valery.

 

INVER QUARRY

Very few of the thousands of people who pass up and down the A93 between Ballater and Braemar would be aware of Inver Quarry which lies just 100 metres off the road in the middle of one of these fir woods for which Deeside is famed. There is now very little evidence of the important part that was played out here over the years. The buildings associated with the quarry are now only forlorn shells and have for a neighbour the inevitable modern communications mast. Beside the quarry lies blocks of granite rejected by former workers of the quarry, some of which have recently been crushed for aggregate.

When the quarry originally opened is unknown but stone from here was used in the building of Balmoral Castle just a little more than two miles down the Dee. The present day Crathie Kirk was also built of Inver granite, which has been described as "a grey granite of remarkably beautiful colour", and was dedicated on 19th June 1895.

During the early part of the 20th century the quarry was leased by John Edward Ross, a local mason who plied his trade between Ballater and Braemar. The quarry was regularly worked by a staff of three, there being very little then in way of mechanical equipment to ease the labours. Following John Ross' death in 1934, the lease was taken over by one of the workers, but due mainly to the economic situation of the time it closed down.

The quarry was restarted after the War by an Aberdeen firm P.P.C. (Parkinson, Park and Clubb) under the management of Peter Nicol, a Kemnay man. Peter had been operating the quarry at Sunnyside, near Kemnay for P.P.C. and when it closed down around 1948, he moved to Deeside and stayed at Felagie while working at Inver.

It was during Peter's time at the quarry that the stone for the memorial to the 51st Highland Division at St Valery was taken out. There was considerable pride shown by the folk of Deeside when the 19 ton block made its way down Deeside to John Fyfe's yard at Seaforth Road in Aberdeen where it was dressed and eventually despatched for France.

Two lorries left Aberdeen on 15th April 1950 loaded with the memorial to the 51st Highland Division as also entrance pillars for the war cemetery at St Valery, bound for Gosport where the lorries were loaded into a tank landing craft and shipped over to Dieppe where they were transferred to French army lorries which took them to St Valery.

The monument was unveiled on Saturday 10th June 1950, as was the gateway to the cemetery.

  

THE ST VALERY STONE

 

ABOUT THE BATTLE FOR ST VALERY, FRANCE

  

Media & IT Consultant for these images

deesideimages@gmail.com

2,873 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on June 2, 2012