new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Walking Tour | by Visit Hillsborough
Back to photostream

Walking Tour

Heartsease (before 1796) - Sterling Harris purchased this property with a preexisting house in 1786. In 1810, Harris sold the house to Miss Mary ("Polly") Burke, the orphaned daughter of Colonial Governor Thomas Burke (1781-82), who added the Federal-style east wing. When Mary Burke left Hillsborough in 1836, Dennis Heartt (1783-1870), editor of the Hillsborough Recorder, bought and named the house. He added the 2-story, Greek Revival style west wing about 1840.

1,624 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on June 25, 2008