Monarch Glen Sheep Pens
This pattern of fields, fences, gates, pens, ramps and chutes is the only coherent remainder of the sheep industry that existed on the coastal acres of present Sea Ranch from 1916 to 1964
From pastures north (Unit 28) and south (Unit 24) sheep were herded into the west end of Monarch Glen on a mid-ranch road. Brought into this large holding field they were then selectively directed in smaller batches from one pen to another, into the dodge chute and lifted up onto the marking table. Here they were inspected, dosed, tails cropped and marked with colors.
Ewes were kept under surveillance in the ewe pens, as new lambs were a precious crop. Sheep were then directed back into adjacent pastures or up onto the loading chute to be moved to other destinations.