Sydney_2018 10 23_2431
Queen Victoria Building is a heritage-listed late-nineteenth-century building designed by the architect George McRae located at 429-481 George Street in the Sydney central business district. The Romanesque Revival building was constructed between 1893 and 1898 and is 98 feet wide by 620 feet long. The domes were built by Ritchie Brothers, a steel and metal company that also built trains, trams and farm equipment. The building fills a city block bounded by George, Market, York and Druitt Streets. Designed as a marketplace, it was used for a variety of other purposes, underwent remodeling and suffered decay until its restoration and return to its original use in the late twentieth century. The property is owned by the City of Sydney. The building, on the "scale of a cathedral" was designed by George McRae, a Scottish architect who had emigrated to Sydney in 1884; at the time, Sydney was undergoing a building. The dominant feature of the building is the central dome which consists of an interior glass dome and a copper-sheathed exterior, topped by a domed cupola. Smaller domes of various sizes are on the rooftop, including ones on each upper corner of the rectangular building. Stained-glass windows, including a cartwheel window depicting the arms of the City of Sydney, allow light into the central area, and the roof itself incorporates arched skylights running lengthways north and south from the central dome. The colonnades, arches, balustrades and cupolas are of typically intricate Victorian style / On our walk back from Woolloomooloo after sampling myriad beers and ales at The Old Fitzroy with one last stop at Gelato Messina, the acclaimed, buzzy hangout for gelato, we weaved our way through the central business district back to our hotel to get ready for dinner at the “O” Bar, a modern Australian restaurant in a chic space with lofty views - a circular space on the 47th floor of Australia Square, 264, on George St., that turns constantly to reveal an ever-unfolding, 360-degree panorama of Sydney.