30th Street Station -- "Spirit of Transportation" Sculpture
The accompanying plaque for this sculpture, which is inside the 30th Street Station, reads:
"This panel, the conception and work of Karl Bitter, was executed in 1895 and placed in waiting room of Broad Street Station, Philadelphia, from which place it was removed to this site in January, 1955. The Spirit of Transportation is represented in triumphal procession of progress led by a little child carrying a model of an airship, a prophetic vision of a mode of transportation to come."
30th Street Station is where our Amtrak train arrived and departed.
It opened in 1933 when Philadelphia was the headquarters for the Pennsylvania Railroad. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.