1903 Cadillac Runabout with Tonneau
With tonneau in place (above the diagonal line under the rear seat), the two-seat Runabout could accommodate more passengers. A one-cylinder, 7 horsepower engine resides under the seat; the radiator is behind the single headlamp (visible above the front tire) below the curved dash. (Note that engine horsepower figures vary among sources, and sometimes within a source, from under 7 to as much as 10.) This inaugural Cadillac bears a strong resemblance to the 1903 Ford, as Cadillac was formed from what was left at the Henry Ford Company when Ford left the firm (the current Ford Motor Company traces its beginnings to 1903); the first Cadillac was produced in October 1902, about two months after Henry Leland had been brought in to evaluate the Henry Ford Company assets for liquidation. Instead, Leland urged staying in business and was instrumental in the formation of Cadillac rather than liquidating Henry Ford Company as investors had intended; he brought with him an engine design originally done for Ransom Olds, who declined to produce it. Cadillac became part of General Motors in 1908, and Henry Leland later formed Lincoln, which -- somewhat ironically -- became part of Ford Motor Company. This example of the early Cadillac was seen last September at the Greenfield Village Old Car Festival in Dearborn, Michigan, where Ruth Ann and I met up again with Flickr friend Steve Brown (sjb4photos), whom we first met in June to go to the Gilmore Car Museum and the Greenfield Village Motor Muster.
In the background is one of the many historic Greenfield Village buildings either moved to or recreated there by Henry Ford, starting in the 1920s. An on-line source says of this particular building, "The Armington & Sims Machine Shop & Foundry, constructed in Greenfield Village in 1929, was named in honor of the shop that was originally located in Providence, Rhode Island, that built high-speed steam engines for Edison’s New York Pearl Street Station. This building replicates a typical all-purpose job shop around 1900."