The City Hall (1862-1864) of Brockville, Ontario
The City Hall (1862-1864) of Brockville, Ontario, Canada.
Built between 1862-1864 as a combination concert hall, office space, and an indoor market house, with a butcher's market in the rear, it was originally named Victoria Hall.
Two architectural firms bid for its design; one firm was Jones & Fuller of Toronto and Ottawa then famous for their winning design for the new Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, and the second architect was Henry H. Horsey of Kingston, the son of the well-known architect Edward Horsey.
It was during 1862 that the design of the present building by Horsey was determined and approved by Town Council and tenders for its construction were called in the summer of that year. The contract was awarded on September 15, 1862 to John Steacy, Jr. (and David S. Booth, his partner) while William Fitzsimmons, the mayor, and an experienced builder himself, was appointed to superintend the construction.
H. H. Horsey had originally estimated the total cost of the new building to be $26,000.00 but costs may have eventually exceeded that. Work began that fall of 1862 and continued all through 1863 and into 1864 as the workmen tried to complete all the final details.
The first recorded use of the concert hall on the second floor was on October 8, 1864 with a concert by Madam A. Bishop. The first floor offices were rented to the Post Office and they operated from this building for the next twenty years until 1884. In the 1880's it was decided to convert the main block of the building for the town offices. These changes were designed by Brockville architect, O. E. Liston.
In 1904 two floors were added to the one-storey market in the rear.