Today I decided to create an illustration of a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:
Kind hearts are the gardens,
Kind thoughts are the roots,
Kind words are the blossoms,
Kind deeds are the fruits;
Love is the sweet sunshine
That warms into life,
For only in darkness
Grow hatred and strife.
Everything photographed and processed by me. A few words about the photos:
- The dragon is a toy, bought specially for the occasion. It is not the same one I used previously in other images. This one being relatively small, I had to use focus stacking (4 photos) to get it totally sharp from front to back. 2 other photos were also taken with the puppet rotated, in order to get different positions for arms and legs (the toy is not articulated). Some cleaning and textures have been applied for more realism. Yes, I do love dragons.
- Flames and smoke photos were taken at night in my garden, to obtain bright fire against a black background (much easier to process). My neighbor is probably convinced I'm totally crazy by now.
- The mountains were created using photos of big (and heavy!) rocks, found along the river, that my father help me cleaning and bringing into my home studio. I positioned them vertically in front of strobes to match the lighting of the scene.
- Clouds were photographed just before a strong rain: the natural backlighting was perfect for my use, I simply adjusted the hue.
- My wife posed for the girl: I changed the proportion of her body to look more like a child.
- The cupcake was photographed at home, using the same setup than the rocks. Now that I think about it, I forgot to eat it!!! Damn.
- The flowers come from my garden. Their colors were adjusted to fit the image.
Hope you like it! :-)