Venice Blue Hour: San Giorgio Maggiore
Lens Canon EF24-105mm f/4 L USM
Exposure: 30 sec at f 14
Focus lenght: 44 mm
Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head
San Giorgio Maggiore is one of the islands of Venice, northern Italy, lying east of the Giudecca and south of the main island group. The isle is surrounded by Canale della Grazia, Canale della Giudecca, Saint Mark Basin, Canale di San Marco and the southern lagoon. It forms part of the San Marco sestiere.
The island was probably occupied in the Roman period; after the foundation of Venice it was called Insula Memmia after the Memmo family who owned it. By 829 it had a church consecrated to St George; thus it was designated as San Giorgio Maggiore to be distinguished from San Giorgio in Alga.
The Monastery of San Giorgio was established in 982, when the Benedictine monk, Giovanni Morosini asked the doge Tribuno Memmo to donated the whole island for a Monastery. Morosini drained the island's marshes next to the church to get the ground for building, and founded the Monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore, and became its first abbot.
San Giorgio is now best known for the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, designed by Palladio and begun in 1566.
In the early 19th century, after the Republic fell, the monastery was almost suppressed and the island became a free port with a new harbour built in 1812. It became the home of Venice's artillery.
It is now the headquarters of the Cini Foundation arts centre, known for its library and is also home to the Teatro Verde open-air theatre.