April 7, 2008. This is from this past Monday night's open painting session. (this is cropped in) I put a background wash on before the session without knowing what the model/pose/light/outfit would be, and discovered painting over a rusty base is hard when you're trying to get cool whites. much too pink. Even though I'm still painting too thin, I think it did reinforce in my mind that I should be painting thicker, hit the tone and value with enough paint to cover.
This is a two week pose. I'll either work back into this or start a new one from a different angle. I was talking with Aaron about a painting from this past week that never came together and keep working at it to try and fix the problems. His suggestion was to start fresh with new paintings, which I think is great advice (even though I spent the night trying to fix those mistakes, unsuccessfully :) I think starting fresh with this one might be a good idea too.