Dr. Justus Ohage
The Ohage Great Lawn surrounding this monument was dedicated on May 26, 2000. The occasion celegrated the rebirth of Saint Paul's historic gathering place, Harriet Island Regional Park, in the spirit and vision of Dr. Justus Ohage.
This date marked the 100th. anniversary of Ohage's gift of this "pure and purifying paradise" to the people of Saint Paul. He had purchased the 40 acre wooded sandbar in the Mississippi River and transformed it into a beautiful park within a few minutes walk of downtown. The park, public baths ang genteel entertainment attracted a million vistors a year.
This monument is dedicated by the physician members of the Ramsey Medical Society to Dr. Ohage in tribute to his concern for the health and welfare of the community. Ohage (1849-1935) was a nationally renowned surgeon practicing at St. Joseph Hospital and served in many organizations in Minnesota.
A treasure to be sure.