« Place des victimes de la Révolution» at Petrograd [17th July 1920]
Boris Souvarine Papers - Soviet Russia Photos
Notes: The « Square of the Victims of the Revolution » designates the Field of Mars, in Saint-Petersburg/Petrograd.
After the February Revolution in 1917, this area of the city became a memorial place, where participants killed during the Revolution were buried.
This picture probably shows a commemoration, which took place at the opening of the IInd Congress of the IIIrd International (17th July 1920). On this occasion, the delegates of the International came in procession to the Field of Mars, to pay a tribute to the victims. The procession may be carrying a symbolical coffin.
Description: 1 photograph. Black and white ; 10 x 14 cm.
Sources and further reading:
Rosmer, Alfred. 1920. Moscou sous Lénine. Extract available online, "XIII: Smolny - Séance solennelle d'ouverture du IIe Congrès":