new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Inverkip Castle... | by Gordy Glen
Back to album

Inverkip Castle...

The first historical mention of the Castle of Ardgowan - the tower at the bottom of the garden - was in 1307. At that time the castle was an English garrison commanded by Sir Philip Mowbray. Following a battle with the Scots, Mowbray and his troops were defeated and fled into Ayrshire. There was a castle here in the days of Bruce but the present building is of a later date, probably the end of the 15th century.

790 views
3 faves
24 comments
Taken on September 11, 2010