Misc. Historic Photos
A collection of historic photos of the Glencoe Public Library in its various locations. The library opened on January 1, 1910, in a room in the new wing of the old Central School.

By the summer of 1912, the library's room at Central School was needed for school purposes. New quarters were found in the old Village Hall building at 675 Vernon Avenue between Hazel and Park, where the village parking lot is now. The library vacated Central School at the end of July and reopened in the Village Hall on September 16, 1912. For $10 a month, the library occupied part of the second story, sharing the building with the police station and fire brigade. It would stay there for 17 years.

In 1929, the library moved to temporary quarters yet again, this time to the Arts-and-Crafts style former Hawthorne School property at 654 Greenleaf Avenue (at the corner of Hazel and Greenleaf).

An open house was held on Sunday, July 13, 1941, from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. to mark the grand opening of the new facility at 320 Park Avenue, where it has remained since!
29 photos · 197 views