A great example of historic preservation at work. As many of you know H&M moved into the Woodies building several years ago. The newest tenant on the other side of the building is West Elm.
Some background on the building:
The Woodward & Lothrop Building, as it stands today, was built in several phases over the first quarter of the 20th century. In 1902, nationally known architect Henry Ives Cobb designed the G Street building, eight stories of cast iron, brick, and stone, which represented the latest in fireproof building technology for its time. From 1912 to 1913, two more eight-story buildings were built to increase frontage along F Street. In 1925, Woodward & Lothrop architect Linden Kent Ashford added a center building that fronted on both 10th and 11th Streets and connected the existing structures to the north and south. In 1926, Ashford completed the final eight-story building to replace the original Carlisle Building. This final real estate project created a single, internally connected Woodward & Lothrop Building that occupied the entire square with the exception of the small brick building at the corner of 10th and F Streets, which had been built in 1899.
History of the company: