beer and cheese bread
i know, i know, *another* food shot :)
1lb 3oz strong white flour
11oz wholemeal bread flour
8oz strong/mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 generous tsp salt
2 tsp mustard [a combination of english mustard and wholegrain works well]
2 large egg yolks
3 generous tsp sugar
2 packets instant yeast
16 fl oz strongish beer at room temperature [i used the brew company bock, which is a 5% dark beer]
splash of milk
1 egg white for glazing
1) mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. beat the egg yolks with the mustard and add to the dry ingredients with the beer.
2) mix well until the dough starts to come together. if it's too dry, add a little more milk until it reaches a soft, kneadable consistency.
3) turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is nice and stretchy. put the dough back in the bowl and leave to stand for about 90 minutes until it's doubled in size.
4) lightly grease a couple of baking trays. there'll be enough dough to make 2 large loaves, or 1 large loaf + 10 medium sized rolls. leave for a further hour [you don't have to do this with instant yeast, but i always do. not sure why, it just feels right!].
5) pre-heat the oven to 220C. brush the bread with the egg white glaze and bake for 15-20 minutes (for rolls) or 25-30 minutes (for loaves).
6) eat with butter straight from the oven :) it also works well dunken into soup, or toasted with butter and marmite the next day.
This photo is in 4 groups
- Social Menu: Bread 10 items
- CF Recipes 136 items
- For The Love of Bread 8,656 items
- SHUFA (sheffield hallam university: flickrers anonymous) 2,009 items
This photo is in 1 album
- foody boozy gin drops 36 items