Prospect Church and School
A caption accompanying this photo reads:
The 1st "Prospect" was a nondenominational log cabin built in the woods 2 mi SE. This 2nd "Prospect" school and cemetery is on land given the Methodist Episcopal Church South by David II and Sally Osburn in 1888. It was a Methodist undertaking. White Temple was built by Baptist 4 mi. south. Lewis son Jack Gaskins and Jack Osburn were leaders in construction and finance. Numbers indicate those identified currently. Weels: 1 Bill, 2 "Lum", 3 Charles, 4 Fred, 5 Henry, 6 Clarence, 7 Matilda, 8 Sofronia, 13 Alice, 9 Jack Gaskins, 10 Jack Osburn, 11 Wiley Osburn. Others known to be here: ROACH BARNES JACKSON KENNERLY OVERSTREET PLATT TICHNER WILLIAMSON CLARKSON REVELS ROBERTS HAYMAN.
A much later newspaper article featuring this photo had the following information about it:
The original Prospect Methodist Church and school were log cabins built in the early 1860's by settlers. Barns, Wells, Bowen, Overstreet, Harrison, Ray, Gaskin, Osburn, Roach, Revels, and Tichner are known to have attended the school, which was located beside this building in San Antonio. This Prospect Methodist Church was built here around the mid-1880's, about a mile and a half northwest of the original site, on land donated by David Osburn II. Jack Gaskin and Jack Osburn led the construction of this building which was supported by the entire community. It is thought that this picture was taken right after the church was completed and that the families oi the following men are pictured: Jim and Jack Gaskin, David II and Jack Osburn, Freeman Revels, David Kennedy, and Columbus Wells. The Prospect School was relocated about three miles directly south of this church, where Richard Kiefer now lives. Sonny Clark's mother was one of the early teachers of the second Prospect School. His grandmother walked ﬁve miles to the ﬁrst log cabin school. People identiﬁed in the photo are: from left - Bill Wells, his father, Columbus Wells, and sons, Charles, Fred, Brant, Clarence, Mrs. Matilda Wells, Henry, and daughters, Alice and Jane. The Wells' others children, Sophria and John, are in the photo but cannot be identiﬁed. On the right side of the photo stands Jack Gaskin and Jack Osburn. The photos were courteously loaned to Pasco News by Mrs. Ruth Jones.
Thanks to Virginia Dew Blake for the newspaper article featuring the photo.
This version of the photo is from the Ruth Osburn Jones Collection, courtesy of Nick Linville (e2342).