Simonson Biological Field Station
Construction on Henderson State University's Simonson Biological Field Station has been completed. The facility, located on the shore of DeGray Lake, began hosting events this past spring, and a class was held there during the summer. Regular classes will begin in spring 2012. The 7,000-square-foot log cabin houses two classrooms, a laboratory, research lab, kitchen, great room and living accommodations for 14 students and two faculty. The field station will not only provide a hands-on learning environment for students, it will allow a variety of community outreach programs. The facility was made possible primarily through $525,000 in donations from the late Dr. Della Sue Simonson and her brother, Col. Eugene Simonson. They were both 1951 graduates of Henderson. The station will house intensive summer courses in a residential setting. It could also be used as a destination for field work supporting on-campus biology courses and for weekend and overnight field trips. It will also support undergraduate and faculty research.
33 photos · 2,079 views