Church of the Infant Jesus Koroit Stained glass window 47
Image availabe for purchase from www.ballaratheritage.com.au
Australian Heritage Places Inventory information
Koroit Church Precinct
Source: Go to the Register of the National Estate for more information.
Location: High St, Koroit
Government: Moyne Shire
Significance: Koroit's church precinct reflects the town's significance as the centre of one of the most concentrated Irish Roman Catholic rural districts in Australia (Criterion A.4). The precinct is dominated by a group of buildings larger in scale and more complete in range than those in any other comparably sized Victorian town (Criterion B.2). The church buildings, through their cohesiveness, the use of similar materials in many of the buildings, and the open space between the buildings, make an important contribution to the Koroit townscape (Criterion E.1).
Description: The church precinct is located on the gentle slopes of Tower Hill. The historic churches and other ecclesiastical buildings form a cohesive area of architectural, historical and social significance. Churches represented are Roman Catholic, Anglican, Methodist and Presbyterian and most are built in local stone. While physically separate, each church looks out onto all or most of the others, since the adjacent land is largely undeveloped. Especially striking when viewed across empty paddocks is the Catholic Church of the Infant Jesus, with an imposing two storey presbytery at the rear. The church was built in two stages, though to the single design of architect, William Wardell. The first section (75ft in length) was opened in November 1870, while the addition (bringing the building to 112ft) was opened in 1916. The church still lacks the lofty spire called for in the original design. The presbytery was built after 1886. Both buildings are disproportionately large for a town the size of Koroit. Completing the group of Catholic buildings, though of less individual significance, is St Patrick's School (1921).