Mission Nuestra Señora de Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga
Franciscan priests established the first Mission Espiritu Santo at Matagord Bay in 1722, adjacent to Presidio La Bahia. In 1749, after two other moves, both the mission and presidio were strategically relocated to opposite banks of the San Antonio River protecting Camino La Bahia, a major Spanish trade route to the north and east.
In 1931, the Texas State Park system acquired the site. Crews of the Civilian Conservation Corps worked to restore the Mission. During the 1970's the chapel was restored.