Perak Prison (Taiping Gaol), Main Road, Taiping, Perak
The public information plaque outside the main entrance/admin building reads as follows:
The Taiping Prison (Penjara Taiping) was built in 1879 during the administration of Sir Hugh Low, the third British Resident of Perak. It was built amid growing opposition to British rule and in response to rising crimes such as murder, robbery and piracy. The building of the prison also took place at a time when the British were getting more involved in the affairs of the country chiefly to safegaurd their economic interests, which were being threatened by, for example, gang wars between the Ghee Hin and the Hai San. The violence between the two groups started in 1861 and only ended 12 years later, in 1873. The original prison could only accommodate 50 prisoners. It's walls were nine feet high and the five buildings within the compound were of half brick and half timber. It also housed a hospital and an administrative office. ...
There is also an entry at Wikipedia with a little history about the prison: Taiping Prison