3d pan white

South Stack, Anglesey - 20120624 - 01

South Stack Lighthouse, built in 1809


South Stack Rock is an islet off the north west of Holy Island in Anglesey. The lighthouse there, designed by Daniel Alexander, was built in 1809. The 30m wide channel separating the rock from the cliffs of the headland was originally traversed by an aerial ropeway and later by a rope suspension bridge. The latter was replaced in 1828 by an iron suspension bridge, which was in turn superseded by an aluminium truss bridge in 1964. By 1983, however, this had become unsafe and was... [more...]

5 faves
Taken on June 24, 2012