Holyhead - 20120617 - 11 - Old Castle

Soldiers Point Hotel, also known as the ‘Old Castle’ building, was built in 1848 as the residence of the Engineer in charge of the Government-sponsored alterations to Holyhead harbour being carried out as part of improvements to the mail route from London to Dublin. John Hawkshaw succeeded James Meadows Rendel in this post when the latter died in 1856.


The grounds of this two-storey castellated Victorian mansion are bounded by curtain walls with ‘folly’ towers — one of which... [more...]

5 faves
Taken on June 17, 2012