flickr-free-ic3d pan white

Water mill, Roslin Glen - 20120403 - 03

Waterwheel tailrace rejoining the River North Esk

 

These ruined incorporating mill buildings once formed part of Roslin Gunpowder Mills, which produced explosives for 150 years. Here heavy runner stones, powered by a waterwheel, would have rolled over the gunpowder, crushing and mixing its ingredients. The facility was established in 1804 and was located in the steep valley of the River North Esk. Many of the buildings were recessed into the banks of this wooded glen in order to prevent a chain reaction in the event of an explosion in one of the sheds. When it closed in 1954, the site, run by... [more...]

582 views
6 faves
8 comments
Taken on April 3, 2012