Cwm Eigiau Quarry - 20120225 - 06 - towards Craig yr Ysfa
Ruined barracks, with Craig yr Ysfa in the background
The tramway linking the nearby Cedryn Quarry to the river Conwy at Dolgarrog was extended to Cwm Eigiau Quarry in about 1863. From 1874 to 1885 the quarry was operated by the Caedryn and Cwm Eigiau Slate Company, which since 1863 had been the Caedryn Slate Quarry Company. The venture was ultimately unsuccessful owing to the poor quality of the slate.
The slate mill was powered by waterwheel and the remains of a wall carrying... [more...]