new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Backetball at Happy Hollow | by garyreed
Back to group

Backetball at Happy Hollow

Influenced by the Playground movement of 1905 , Mr. E.W. Clark, a prominent Philadelphian, purchased five acres of former quarry land with the intention of making it a playground after a young child drowned. He hired George T. Pearson a well-known architect to design the main building. It was known originally as the Quarry Playground House, completed in 1910 and still in use today. Mrs. Clark named the playground Happy Hollow. The Clark’s donated the state-of-the-art facility, to the Playground Association of Philadelphia. The opening of the Happy Hollow Playground was announced April 29, 1911. It is documented to be the city’s oldest playground/recreation center. Research substantiates that it was in fact the first recreation center in the state. We are now in the process of filing for a state historic marker.

501 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on September 8, 2012