new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Farol da Barra - the first lighthouse in the Americas | by Fred Matos
Back to group

Farol da Barra - the first lighthouse in the Americas

The city of Salvador, Bahia, was the capital of Brazil during the colonial period and in the seventeenth century, its port was one of the busiest and most important of the continent, and had to assist vessels that arrived at the Bay of All Saints in search of Brazil wood and other wood-in-law, sugar, cotton, tobacco and other items to supply the European consumer market.

 

At the end of this century, after the tragic sinking of the Galleon Blessed Sacrament, flagship of the fleet of the General Company of Commerce of Brazil, on a sand bank opposite the mouth of Red River, the May 5, 1668, the Fort of Santo Antonio da Barra was rebuilt from 1696, during the General Administration of John of Lancaster (1694-1702), and received a beacon - a square tower topped by a bronze lantern glass, fueled by whale oil - according to the Institute Geography and History of Bahia, Brazil's first and oldest of the Continent (1698), when he was called to the Bar or Lookout Lighthouse Bar.

 

The logbook of the English buccaneer William Dampier in 1699, reports: "The entrance to the Bay of All Saints is defended by the imposing Fort of St. Anthony, whose lamps lit and suspended for the guidance of ships, seen at night."

 

Regency Decree of July 6, 1832 ordered the installation of a more modern lighthouse, built in England, to replace the old. Upon completion of the works, opened in December 2, 1839, the new lighting equipment catóptico stood on a tower of masonry Tronconi, with a range of eighteen nautical miles in clear weather.

 

In 1937, the old system "Barbier" (kerosene incandescent) lighting has been replaced by electric light, is celebrating the centenary of the first lighthouse to December 2, 1939.

 

.

.

  

A Cidade do Salvador, Bahia, era a capital do Brasil no período colonial e no século XVII, o seu porto era um dos mais movimentados e importantes do continente, e era preciso auxiliar as embarcações que chegavam à Baía de Todos os Santos em busca de pau-brasil e outras madeiras-de-lei, açúcar, algodão, tabaco e outros itens, para abastecer o mercado consumidor europeu.

 

No fim desse século, após o trágico naufrágio do Galeão Santíssimo Sacramento, capitânia da frota da Companhia Geral de Comércio do Brasil, num banco de areia frente à foz do rio Vermelho, a 5 de maio de 1668, o Forte de Santo Antônio da Barra foi reedificado a partir de 1696, durante o Governo Geral de João de Lencastre (1694-1702), vindo a receber um farol - um torreão quadrangular encimado por uma lanterna de bronze envidraçada, alimentada a óleo de baleia -, de acordo com o Instituto Geográfico e Histórico da Bahia, o primeiro do Brasil e o mais antigo do Continente (1698), quando passou a ser chamado de Vigia da Barra ou de Farol da Barra.

 

O diário de bordo do corsário inglês William Dampier, em 1699, relata: "A entrada da Baía de Todos os Santos é defendida pelo imponente Forte de Santo Antônio, cujos lampiões acesos e suspensos para orientação dos navios, vimos de noite."

 

O Decreto Regencial de 6 de julho de 1832 determinou a instalação de um farol mais moderno, fabricado na Inglaterra, em substituição ao antigo. Ao término das obras, inauguradas em 2 de dezembro de 1839, o novo equipamento de luz catóptico erguia-se sobre uma torre troncônica de alvenaria, com alcance de dezoito milhas náuticas com tempo claro.

 

Em 1937, o antigo sistema "Barbier" (incandescente a querosene) de iluminação foi substituído por luz elétrica, comemorando-se o primeiro centenário do farol a 2 de Dezembro de 1939.

5,337 views
43 faves
37 comments
Taken on September 28, 2010