Escola de Artes Visuais do Parque Lage
Escola de Artes Visuais do Parque Lage
The School of Visual Arts (Escola de Artes Visuais - EAV) of Parque Lage offers courses aiming at the development of artists, curators, researchers and other people interested in establishing or deepening their contact with art.
Created by Rubens Gerchman in 1975 to substitute the Institute of Fine Arts, the School is set in a mansion built in eclectic style, protected as a historic and environmental patrimony by IPHAN, an official federal agency. Projected by the architect Mário Vodrei, in the 1920’s, the residence of the Brazilian shipbuilder Henrique Lage and his wife, Gabriela Bezanzoni, an Italian lyric singer, has been influenced by the cultural effervescence derived from its open school model – a place where new aesthetic conceptions were carried on by Gerchman.
In this multidisciplinary atmosphere, artists and important intellectuals have met for more than 30 years. Remarkable events have taken place here, such as the art exhibition “Como vai você, Geração 80?”, opened in 1984, the “Rock Brasil” series of shows, the staging of well-known plays such as Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”, which transformed the School into an important pole of cultural resistance during the years of the military dictatorship in Brazil, as well as during the country’s process of redemocratization.
The School of Visual Arts of Parque Lage represents an outstanding reference to the arts, a patrimony that belongs not only to Rio de Janeiro, but also to Brazil.
Parque Lage (in full "Parque Enrique Lage") is a public park in the city of Rio De Janeiro, located in the Jardim Botânico neighborhood at the foot of the Corcovado.
The land was formerly the residence of industrialist Enrique Lage and his wife, singer Gabriela Bezanzoni. During the 1920's Lage had the mansion remodeled by Italian architect Mario Vodrel, with interior paintings by Salvador Payols Sabaté.
In the 1960's the land became a public park, with walking trails through subtropical forest. The Escola de Artes Visuais do Parque Lage (Visual Arts School of Parque Lage) and a café open to the public operate from the former mansion.
Parque Lage constitutes the last continuous arboreal, between the slopes of Corcovado and the rua Jardim Botânico.
Initially designed by English landscape architect John Tyndale in 1840 to the taste of romantic gardens, was partially reformed in the decades of 1920-30 and 1930-40, especially the section on the right, when its owner, the industrialist Enrique Lage, had to build new residence, when he was to replace his father, Antonio Martins Lage.
This house, which has a courtyard with pool, has the main façade completely covered with masonry.
Is part of the artistic period called eclectic.
The gardens that flank it are arranged in a geometric shape and have large areas devoid of arborization more exuberant, certainly a result of contemporary works of building the house.
On the whole, and especially in the central area to the left, the Lage Park presents the characteristics of a natural forest, with an intricate trees and shrubs of various sizes and categories, without solution of continuity in relation to the foot of Corcovado.
Linking the two entrance gates and forming a wide curve, with the central residential home, imperial palms are arranged in two continuous rows.
Among the attractions of the park, we can highlight the aquarium built in mortar imitating rocks and trunks of trees, bridges, benches and kiosks around the lake that are constructed representations of nature and the cave, well, artistic.
The gravel paths lead visitors to places interspersed with extensive vegetation and the buildings mentioned above and access is a gazebo located next to about 0.50m in height, where there is a lake known as Lake of the ducks.
For those who bring children to the park, it has equipment for children, such as swings and slides and those who wish to participate in hikes, the park has opened a path that reaches the Corcovado.
Fountain and banks offer the visitor a pleasant time in nature, in the Parque Lage. There is also a parking lot for about 60 cars, and bathrooms (male and female).
The visitor can also enjoy the lakes in the park and the aquarium, whose gardens are available for lovers of the green and a place of rare beauty.
Parque Lage has been restored and reopened on 24.2.2002, the Municipal Secretary of Environment, through the Foundation's Parks and Gardens, where they were removed tons of garbage accumulated over several years.
The fountain was renovated and restored the paths and trails that were completely damaged.