the gate 'Pariser Tor'
The mediaeval ‘Hunoldesburg’ was redesigned to a Renaissance castle under Ludolf X von Alvensleben already in the 16th century. The baroque extension, which was carried out from 1693 on by Hermann Korb for Johann Friedrich II von Alvensleben, gave distinction to the castle for centuries. As a result originated an impressive magnum opus of the era of the Braunschweig baroque. In the words of the art historian Udo von Alvensleben: ‘The brilliant composition of a North German castle complex and a venetian palace’. Despite changes during the 19th and the early 20th century as well as a fatal fire in the castle in 1945, the majestic construction was not fully destroyed. Since 1991 the castle is being gradually restored and preferentially employed for cultural events.
Synced with the castle the baroque garden was created from 1699 on and has, as one of the oldest classic French gardens in Germany, a high art historical standing.
Here, time has neither gone by without leaving a mark. Horticultural remodelling during the 19th and 20th century was followed by uses totally diverting from the initial intentions, e.g. as a football ground, until 1991. Since then the complex has been fully reconstructed. Additionally, the garden has become the home of a collection of fruit as a focal point housing historic kinds of fruit of the Altmark and the northern Boerde of Magdeburg.