Main House at the Kingsley Plantation: Fort George Island, Florida
Local call number: RC20275
Title: Main House at the Kingsley Plantation: Fort George Island, Florida
Date: ca. 1950
General note: This home, located on Fort George Island north of Jacksonville on the St. John's River, was built by slaves owned by John McQueen in 1798. Planter Zephaniah Kingsley purchased the property in 1814 and operated a plantation specializing in Sea Island cotton. Zephaniah's wife Anna, a former slave, exerted significant influence over the daily operations of the plantation. She was freed by her husband in 1811 and became a land owner in her own right. Kingsley's relatives owned the site until the 1850s. The state of Florida operated the site as a state park from the 1950s until 1989. Today the property is managed by the National Park Service as part of the Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve.
Physical descrip: 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Series Title: Reference Collection
Repository: State Library and Archives of Florida, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250 USA. Contact: 850.245.6700. Archives@dos.state.fl.us
Persistent URL: www.floridamemory.com/items/show/41428