Monument at Dade Battlefield Historic State Park: Bushnell, Florida
Local call number: PE0486
Title: Monument at Dade Battlefield Historic State Park: Bushnell, Florida
Date: ca. 1955
General note: Dade Battlefield Historic State Park was the site of the opening battle of the Second Seminole War on 28 December 1835. Angry over the American government's Indian removal policy, a group of 180 Seminole warriors attacked Major Francis Dade and 103 soldiers marching from Fort Brooke (Tampa) to Fort King (Ocala). Only three of the Americans survived. The event was for years known as Dade's Massacre. Starting in 1905, with Congressman Stephen Sparkman, attempts were made to preserve the site. Finally, on 29 September 1921, at the urging of US Senator Duncan Fletcher, the Florida State Legislature purchased the site as a historic memorial. The 80-acre property was later transferred to the Florida Park Service as a state park. In 1972, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Dade Battlefield Historic Memorial. It was also designated as a National Historic Landmark.
Physical descrip: 1 photonegative - b&w - 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
Series Title: Irvin Peithmann Collection
Repository: State Library and Archives of Florida, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250 USA. Contact: 850.245.6700. Archives@dos.state.fl.us
Persistent URL: www.floridamemory.com/items/show/164510
Visit Florida Memory to see more images of the Dade Battlefield.