Smardale Gill Viaduct on the abandoned section of the Stainmore railway line between Kirkby Stephen East and Tebay. The Grade II listed structure, which crosses the valley of the Scandal Beck, carried its first train in July 1861 and closed to all rail traffic in January 1962. Today, the trackbed is a footpath-cum-cycleway. The viaduct was designed by Sir Thomas Bouch (of Tay Bridge infamy) and constructed by a Preston engineer, who was paid £11,298 for his efforts. Its 14 arches are each of 30ft span. The structure, made from locally quarried pink sandstone, is 184 yards long and at its highest point stands 90ft above the stream. It was built for double track, but only ever bore a single line.