Cetinje-Neguska
Cetinje is a town of immense historical heritage, founded in the 15th century. It became the center of Montenegrin life and both a cradle of Montenegrin and an Eastern Orthodox religious center. It is because of its heritage as a long-term Montenegrin capital that it is today the honorary capital of Montenegro.

The city nestles on a small karst plain surrounded by limestone mountains, including Mt. Lovćen, the Black Mountain from which Montenegro gets its name.

The founding of Cetinje was conditioned by the historical, political, and economic background in the 15th century. Wars of conquest led by the Turks forced Ivan Crnojević, the ruler of Zeta at that time, to move the capital of his country from the fortified town of Žabljak to the inaccessible parts, to Obod in 1475, and soon after it at the foot of Mt. Lovćen. In the field of Cetinje in 1482 his court was built and two years later the monastery was built as well. By building the court and the monastery a new capital was founded. Its name was Cetinje. It was named after the River Cetina that runs through it.

In the next two centuries Cetinje stagnated in its development. It was very often under the attack of Venice and the Turks. So, in the 16th and 17th century Cetinje was exposed to tough temptations. In this period the court and the monastery of the Crnojevići dynasty were destroyed. It was only by the end of the 17th century, in 1697, that Cetinje began to flourish again under the rule of the Petrović dynasty and Danilo Petrović as its founder.

It was only during the rule of Petar II Petrović Njegoš that the remarkable progress has been made. In 1838 his new royal residence called Biljarda (Billiard house) was built. Cetinje was enlarged by building new houses that gradually led to urbanization.

Montenegrin independence was recognized by the decision of the Berlin Congress (1878) and so Cetinje became the capital of a European country.

Many modern buildings designed for the international consulates were built due to newly established relations with a range of European countries. The buildings of the French, Russian, British, Italian and Austro-Hungarian consulates are regarded as the most beautiful among these.

Njeguši, is the ancient home of the reigning House of Petrović where the last King of Montenegro was born . Nikola I Mirkov Petrović-Njegoš (October 7 1841 – March 1, 1921) was the only king of Montenegro, reigning as king from 1910 to 1918 and as prince from 1860 to 1910.

Tivat is connected with the rest of Montenegro by Adriatic Highway, a two-laned motorway that extends for the length of Montenegrin coast. Reaching inland is made possible by detouring from the Adriatic Highway at Budva or Sutomore (through Sozina tunnel).

The ferry operates on Kamenari - Lepetane line at Verige strait, eliminating the need to go all the way around Boka Kotorska bay in order to reach Herceg Novi riviera. It is speculated that on this ferry route the future Verige bridge will be built.

Tivat Airport is 3 km (1.9 mi) away, the surrounding mountains mean the Airport is limited in the size and frequency of flights it is very busy with charters during the summer months. There are regular flights to Belgrade throughout the year.
31 photos · 4 videos · 856 views