The Kay opened on Main Street in 1947, the smaller of Rockdale's two movie houses (the larger being the Dixie). It was a Quonset-style building, with Streamline Moderne facade and decor. The Kay had a small balcony, originally for the use of African-American patrons in the era of segregation. The Kay operated until the early 60s.
A group has been organized, the Kay Theater Foundation, of Rockdale citizens who want to purchase and restore the long-vacant theater for use as a performing arts center. The group's goal is to raise $46,000 to acquire the theater from its current owner. It is estimated restoring the Kay will cost at least $400,000.