new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Giant pithoi V | by eucharisto deo
Back to photostream

Giant pithoi V

discovered in 1878 by Minos Kalokairinos, a Cretan merchant and antiquarian. March 16, 1900 Sir Arthur Evans, bought & started excavating. He coined the term Minoan, Palace, imagined the reconstructions...

The first Neolithic settlement was on the site circa 7000 BC, the palace building ran from 1900BC to the Roman era, when it was abandoned. Stone age through Bronze to the Iron age!

618 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on June 5, 2008