Norwood Sports Ground c.1909 ( archive ref PO-1-14-193)
(Buy exclusive prints of this image from East Riding Photos)
The opening of the new pavilion at the Norwood Sports Ground, 1909.
The new Beverley Town Cricket, Bowling and Athletic ground in Norwood was opened in 1909.
The land was originally purchased by Mr. J.A. Dunkerly, who was a former captain of Beverley Cricket Club. The previous site at Mill Lane was sold for building plots by its owners, which left the club facing the prospect of being without a ground.
Sadly, during both world wars, the amount of cricket being played at the ground became limited and Norwood Sports Ground offered other recreational facilities for the military personnel in the town and also for charity carnivals for the townsfolk.
The club celebrated it’s centenary in 2009 and still survives today with cricket still being played at the ground.
(Follow us online by searching ‘East Riding Archives Flickr’)
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives ' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email email@example.com