The Potter Building
The Potter Building (N.G. Starkweather, 1883-86) stands on the site of one former home of the long-defunct newspaper, The New York World, which burned down in a disastrous fire in 1882. The Potter was one of the first buildings in the city to use extensive terra-cotta, both for decoration and fire-proofing. Look closely at the capital of the corner column--that's a phoenix.
National Register Number
Fulton-Nassau Historic District: 05000988